Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Nikita Khrushchev -- memoir

Last November I interviewed Sergei Khrushchev  regarding his memoir about his father.  I have yet to post the video from the interview. Alas, a modern-day book reviewer on the net has to master website, twitter, blog, Facebook and YouTube technology. Slowly, gradually, I'll get to it.

At one point I asked Dr. Khrushchev what prompted him to emigrate. "I didn't emigrate," he replied. I came for a job."

"But you have American citizenship, don't you?" I said.
 "Yes I do," he said, "but I still have my Russian citizenship, I have an apartment in Moscow and I go there regularly."

In 1991, 1992 and 1993 when I make several visits to Moscow and I witnessed the coup which resulted in the dissolution of the Soviet Union and its aftermath, I hoped that many more people would have a lifestyle that reflected not only the end of the Cold War, but also the development of a real peace throughout the world. Well you know the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment